Hospice serves those who have served our nation. Hospice of Humboldt has become a national partner of We Honor Veterans, a campaign developed by the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization (NHPCO) in collaboration with the Department of Veterans Affairs.
The “We Honor Veterans” program includes:
- Identifying and honoring veterans upon admission to Hospice service: The program focuses on respectful inquiry, compassionate listening and grateful acknowledgement, including a table top flag and a hand made quilt donated from local quilters and provided to each veteran.
- Identifying each veteran’s needs: Hospice medical and social work staff receive veteran centric training. Most veterans have special needs related to the military service, combat experience or other traumatic events. Hospice has the tools to help support our veteran patients and their families.
- Meeting veteran needs by providing the best possible end of life care specifically tailored to veterans and their families and meeting the veterans’ special needs for care in their preferred setting, Hospice is better able to accompany them toward a more peaceful ending.
Volunteer quilt maker, Dottie Williams and former Hospice Chaplain, Ernie Savage with a quilt for a veteran on service.
Hospice provides these services to Veterans:
- Care coordination with VA clinics.
- Hospice medical staff, social workers, and clergy receive veteran specific education.
- Veteran to Veteran patient care companionship as available.
Help us reach more veterans in Humboldt County! Click here for more information on the We Honor Veterans program.